Waiguurd

Huscarl

• ++Secured Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Ethnicity:Northfrisian

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Did you know that the character Lagertha, Ragnar Lothbrok's wife, in History's Vikings is loosly based on a real historical figure?
Lagertha was, according to legend, a Danish Viking shieldmaiden from what is now Norway, and the onetime wife of the famous
Viking Ragnar Lodbrok (D. 840 or 865), Her tale, as recorded by the chronicler Saxo in the 12th century, may be a reflection of tales about Þorgerðr Hölgabrúðr, a Norse deity.
Her name, latinized to Lathgertha by Saxo, probably derives from the Old Norse Hlaðgerðr (Hladgerd). His frequently rendered in
English-language sources as "Lagertha", and has also been recorded as Ladgertha, Ladgerda or similar.
Lagertha's tale is recorded in passages in the ninth book of the Gesta Danonum, a 12th century work of Danish history by Saxo Grammaticus.
According to the Gesta, Lagertha's career as a warrior began when Frø, king of Sweden, invaded Norway and killed the Norwegian
king Siward, Frø put the women of the death king's family into a bothel for public humilation.
Hearing of this Ragnar Lodbrok came with an army to avenge his grandfather Siward. Many of the women Frø had ordered abused dressed themselves in men clothing and fought on Ragnar's side. Chief among them, and the key to Ragnar's victory was Lagertha.
Saxo recounts:
"Ladgerda, a skilled Amazon, who, though a maiden, had the courage of a man, and fought in front among the bravest with her hair loose over her shoulders. All marveled at her matchless deeds, for her lock flying down her back betrayed that she was a woman."
Impressed with her courage, Ragnar courted her from afar. Lagertha feigned interest and Ragnar arrived to seek her hand, bidding his companions wait in the Gaular Valley. He was set upon by a bear and a great hound which Lagertha had guarding her home, but killed the bear with his spear and choked the hound to death.
Thus he won the hand of Lagertha in marriage. According to Saxo, Ragnar had a son with her, Fridleif, as well as two daughters, whose names are not recorded.
After returning to Denmark to fight a civil war, Ragnar (who, was still annoyed that Lagertha had set beasts against him) divorced Lagertha in order to marry Þóra Town-Hart, the daughter of king Herrauðr of Sweden.
He won the hand of his new love after numerous adventures, but upon returning to Denmark was again faced with a civil war.
He sent to Norway for support, and Lagertha, who still loved him, came to his aid with 120 ships, according to Saxo.
When at the height of the battle, Ragnar's son Siward was wounded, Lagertha saved the day for Ragnar with a counter attack:
"Lagertha, who had a matchless spirit though a delicate frame, covered by her splendid bravery the indination of the soldiers to waver. For she made a sally about, and flew round to the rear of the enemy, taking them unawares, and thus turned the panic of her friends into the campn of the enemy."
upon returnng to Norway, she quarreled with her husband, and slew him with a spearhead she concealed in her gown.
Saxo concludes that she then "usurped the whole of his name and sovereignty; for this most presumpuous dame thought it pleasanter to rule without her husband than to share the throne with him.

#2 Guthlac

Guthlac

King

• English Shieldwall
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,056 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

A good bit of information Waiguurd.

She sounds like she could have become the mother-in-law from hell.

#3 Waiguurd

Waiguurd

Huscarl

• ++Secured Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Ethnicity:Northfrisian

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

Indeed, I don't want to meet her if she's angry, a real warriorPosted Image

#4 Dan of Biggleswade

Dan of Biggleswade

Huscarl

• +Devoted Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

Really do suggest watching the Vikings TV series. When it comes to sex, battles and a good insight into the old norse way of life it is great. You just have to have a strong chin when it comes to the pathetic attempts to portray England at the time. Check out alluc.org for the whole series up to date.
"Thought must be the harder, heart the keener
Spirit shall be more - as our might lessens.
There lies our chief all cut down,
Good man on the ground; for ever may he grieve
Who now from this war-play thinketh to go.
...... hence I will not,
But by the side of mine own lord,
By my chief so loved, I think to lie."

#5 Guthlac

Guthlac

King

• English Shieldwall
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,056 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

The series has seems to have done a lot of research on the Viking culture. But seems to have done no research or deliberately very little about English culture.

English and Viking clothing were very similar. The English wore their hair long. Physically the English in height and appearance looked the same as Vikings. Yet this series goes out of its way to give the impression the English look like a bunch or midget short haired black haired Italians. The series even has a Viking quoting lines from the English poem the Wanderer.

I think in one episode they had some Englishman saying the Viking use axes and were giants! In reality the English also used axes and were the same average height as Vikings. Not forgetting over here scientists and archaeologists confirm that early English burials show that the English were taller than the Britons. The series shows English warriors holding metal shields and wearing black leather greco looking body armour.

Really the series could seen as racist against the English.

#6 Dave

Dave

In the company of my Cynn

• English Shieldwall
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,105 posts
  • Ethnicity:English

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

The both of them sound like suitable candidates for Jeremy Kyles show.
As we are mainly descended from them, no wonder we have a reputation for sqaubling and fighting amongst ourselvesPosted Image

Fair play, tolerance and freedom. Over the last millennium all of these qualities have marked us out as a nation and so, in the future, will continue to do so... They also say that we're always pissed, completely arrogant and hate foreigners... Ah well, nobody's perfect!

#7 Teutoburg Weald

Teutoburg Weald

Until Valhalla & my Kindred call!

• English Shieldwall
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,659 posts
  • Ethnicity:Englisc of Germanic Roots

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

She sounds a lot like AEthelflade, "Lady of the Mercian Englisc" My sort of Woman............Ah Beautiful!!

10489833_664318090328376_188312911168407

æsctír here sum ándaga wulfséaþas brecðan scildweallas

Lo  þær drohtoþ ic lóc min fæder, Lo þær drohtoþ ic lóc min módor, ond min gesweostor ond min gebródor. Lo þær drohtoþ ic lóc séo lang of min Angelfolc. Lo hig drohtoþ gecégan æt mé ond bid mé bryidan min bæcern ámang  þæge rice wiusæl of valhalla bæcern þæt mðdhwæt magan búan widan.

E.L.A.M.O

#8 Dan of Biggleswade

Dan of Biggleswade

Huscarl

• +Devoted Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

The series has seems to have done a lot of research on the Viking culture. But seems to have done no research or deliberately very little about English culture.

English and Viking clothing were very similar. The English wore their hair long. Physically the English in height and appearance looked the same as Vikings. Yet this series goes out of its way to give the impression the English look like a bunch or midget short haired black haired Italians. The series even has a Viking quoting lines from the English poem the Wanderer.

I think in one episode they had some Englishman saying the Viking use axes and were giants! In reality the English also used axes and were the same average height as Vikings. Not forgetting over here scientists and archaeologists confirm that early English burials show that the English were taller than the Britons. The series shows English warriors holding metal shields and wearing black leather greco looking body armour.

Really the series could seen as racist against the English.

Very true! The only real description of the Vikings that came from the mouths of an Englisc warrior was a comment about their 'beserking'. To a christian, that would have been an unforgettable sight... if they lived.

Edited by Dan of Biggleswade, 09 April 2013 - 06:20 PM.

"Thought must be the harder, heart the keener
Spirit shall be more - as our might lessens.
There lies our chief all cut down,
Good man on the ground; for ever may he grieve
Who now from this war-play thinketh to go.
...... hence I will not,
But by the side of mine own lord,
By my chief so loved, I think to lie."

#9 Guthlac

Guthlac

King

• English Shieldwall
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,056 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

Very true! The only real description of the Vikings that came from the mouths of an Englisc warrior was a comment about their 'beserking'. To a christian, that would have been an unforgettable sight... if they lived.

I had a girlfriend who would often go berserk. Posted Image

#10 Frithhilde

Frithhilde

Huscarl

• ++Secured Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

Strong lady. Her enemies would think twice about invading. Posted Image

Things I MUST remember - FIRST we pillage - THEN we burn !

Tip of the day - NEVER play leapfrog with a unicorn.

#11 Guthlac

Guthlac

King

• English Shieldwall
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,056 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:49 AM

Strong lady. Her enemies would think twice about invading. Posted Image

I always thought twice about saying anything wrong to my ex.Posted Image

#12 Frithhilde

Frithhilde

Huscarl

• ++Secured Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

The female of the species can get passionate/emotional about things, and can go for the jugular at certain times. Posted Image

The best saying I heard was " I am out of eostrogen, I have a handgun - any questions?" Posted Image
Says it all really Posted Image Posted Image
Things I MUST remember - FIRST we pillage - THEN we burn !

Tip of the day - NEVER play leapfrog with a unicorn.

#13 Guthlac

Guthlac

King

• English Shieldwall
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,056 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

http://youtu.be/zEPh18YWmXI

The thing in this episode a Viking actually made a fine speech about sacrifice in the then northern world. But there are no clips up. So I could not post it. ..FOUND IT.

Enlarge the video click on to 35mins interesting speech from the Viking.
Also click on 9:53 to 11:40
http://www.cucirca.c...v Shows Online)

http://youtu.be/9ANsFkJjKXA

http://youtu.be/VAHmkGYGMrg