Swaffington

Ceorl

• General Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Ethnicity:English

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Haelsa,

Here, I give you an easy to read guide on Anglo-Saxon folklore, including information on trolls, faeries, Orcs, Wights, Elves, Sprites, Dwarves and Imps, as well as a few others.

For example, did you know that J. R. R. Tolkien did not create Orcs? The term 'Orc' is Old English, meaning 'foreigner', 'monster', 'demon', and almost certainly comes from the Latin 'Orcus'.

When the Normans conquered England in 1066, the English referred to their conquerors as 'Orcs', a non-politically correct term for someone who isn't seen as human.

Taken from years of research into Anglo-Saxon folklore, and being inspired to do so after watching the movie 'Dont be Afraid of the Dark' featuring evil little faeries, I thought it would be interesting to edit my notes into a short enjoyable read to help educate my fellow Englishmen and maidens on English folklore. Enjoy.

waes hael,

Swaffington

http://www.amazon.co...2331749&sr=1-11

Offa: Rise of the Englisc Warrior 2nd Edition Out Now!

#2 _Oath-Bearer_

_Oath-Bearer_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Great work mate, I'm surprised at some of that, I always thought that Ork came from the people of the Orkney islands and that Fairies were Irish.

Will it be coming out in book form?

#3 Swaffington

Swaffington

Ceorl

• General Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Great work mate, I'm surprised at some of that, I always thought that Ork came from the people of the Orkney islands and that Fairies were Irish.

Will it be coming out in book form?

No, mate, it wont be coming out in book form; its simply too short.

As i mention in the book, 'Orcneys' is made up of two Old English words 'Orc' and 'naes/neys'. Neys simply means 'headland'.

Orcneys is Old English for 'Land of the Orcs'. Hengist and Horsa are said to have visited the Orcneys and laid waste the people there (they were known by the Romans to be cannibalistic, as were the Orcs of myth, hence, the name 'Orcneys').

Also, 'Faerie' is English-Anglo-Saxon not British or Irish. The British/Welsh, Cornish equivalent would be 'pixie'.

You can download the book to your laptop by downloading the free kindle app from amazon http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1000425503

Waes hael

#4 Andy

Andy

Honorary Member

• English Shieldwall
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts
  • Ethnicity:Englisc

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

We have been calling foreigners Orcs for years, along with them we included our Westminster political traitors, and our PC media.

Nice to know that we are following in our ancestors footsteps.Posted Image

rune31.gifrune3.gifrune21.gifrune29.gifrune18.gif : rune27.gifrune28.gifrune21.gifrune17.gifrune18.gif: Africa for Africans, Asia for Asians and Europe for Europeans.

#5 Swaffington

Swaffington

Ceorl

• General Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

We have been calling foreigners Orcs for years, along with them we included our Westminster political traitors, and our PC media.

Nice to know that we are following in our ancestors footsteps.Posted Image

Well, now you know that you were right. Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swaffington